Are you a business owner who interacts with workers?
Here are some costly mistakes to avoid that drive away valuable employees:
- Dishonesty – Integrity matters. If you lack integrity, your employees notice. Lying turns off those employees who are critical to your success.
- Lack Gratitude – Saying thank you to your employees makes a difference. A compliment or acknowledgment keeps talented people motivated. Employees enjoy when you notice the good job they’re doing. Kind words go miles so make a point to praise them.
- Ignore Concerns – Good employees want what’s best for their employer. If you dismiss their concerns, you show weakness, arrogance and incompetence.
- Disregard Development – Make sure you keep mentoring your employees. Let them learn from your experiences. Help them become better professionals.
- Forget That Employees Are People – Employees want to know you care about them not only as employees but as people. People watch how you treat others and take note of it. Never talk badly about other employees to an employee. You will appear cold and uncaring.
Keep your great employees around for the long haul. Before reacting to a situation ask yourself, “What would the greatest leader of all time, Abraham Lincoln, do?” Yes, it’s an amusing tactic, but it works.